Monday, February 21, 2011

2011 Layout Challenge #9 - Love!


This layout I started designing for the Design Dollies Elements Challenge, but just could not get it blogged in time. Once I got back from bringing Nolan to his hockey tournament and doing the weekly groceries, it was past the deadline. Aw shucks, story of my life, as you well know by now! It was good incentive to scrap this photo we took on Christmas Eve with Jason's new gorillapod, though. (If you haven't seen these, they're pretty neat. They're about $20, and they're these little tripods with bendy legs, totally cute!) After I finished this page as a belated Valentine's Day present for Jason, I showed it to him and he said, "Where did you find the quote?" I told him I googled it. He said, "Do you really feel that way?" "Of course I do!" I replied. "I wouldn't have chosen that quote otherwise!" He said, "Aw, that's really beautiful, thank you!" Just thinking about it gives me the warm and fuzzies, which is great because I had another terrible day at work, topped off by witnessing Nolan get in a brawl as soon as I got out the door. Lovely! Ack, now I just pulled out Ailis's top tooth! Things are definitely looking up!
Anyway, back to the layout! I used a sketch from Sketchabilities, and the cupid frame is an image from Graphics Fairy. I cross-stitched some x's in two of the corners so I can enter the challenge at Scrapbooker's Anonymous, plus they kind of go with the love theme. The big piece of patterned paper was in my stash forever, but it was not 12x12, so I made my own background piece using cream cardstock, Fired Brick Distress Ink and some black Glimmer Mist. The red ribbon was tricky. First I hand stitched and gathered it, then stuck it down with glue dots, then stitched it down again because it was just not staying put. I don't know if you can see it that well, but on the black velvet ribbon is a silver buckle that I found in my mom's old stash of buttons. So cool! And that's about it. What do you think?
Tomorrow Brenna is turning one! Holy cow, this year went by at the speed of light! We don't have a big party planned but I will try to get some good photos to post. Have a good one, Roxy!
Supplies: CTMH cardstock and black ink, Tim Holtz stamp set, distress ink, and grungeboard, Prima flourish, Basic Grey and unknown patterned paper, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, Creative Memories pen, unkown ribbons, buckle, and journaling card, thread, Graphics Fairy image, Canon matte photo paper

15 comments:

  1. Your background paper is awesome Rox!!! The layout is absolutely gorgeous!!! You do such a good job of putting things together and making them look fabulous! That is a very nice quote, perfect for a page like this.

    Sorry to hear you had a rough week at work ): it really sucks when that happens. Happy Birthday to Brenna!! (this year has went by so quickly!!!) Try and have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the background paper as well, it's so beautiful. What a great pic of you and your husband! Fab layout!

    Have a great time celebrating with your baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout! Love those little cupids and it is a great quote! Thanks for joining in the fun at Scrapbookers Anonymous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet page! Love the cupid frame you included.
    Visiting from the Graphics Fairy. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous page....love all the details! I love the layered ribbons and you did a fabulous job with the background paper! Enjoy Brenna's first birthday! Seems like only yesterday you were posting about your new arrival...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome work on the sketch....love the layers and the journalling frame :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this layout....love the color with the theme and the antique look is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, love the colors and those distressed elements, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the little stitched x's - a great idea and love the frames at the bottom of the LO- Thanks for joining us at Scrapbookers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey... what a Gorgeous page!!....I love the layered ribbons and you did a fabulous job with the background paper and that xxs over at top corner, awesome! Thank you so much for playing along with US over at Scrapbookers Anonymous.... hugs..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great layout! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapbookers Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous layout here Roxy, love the quote and love the bling!

    Hope Brenna had a brilliant birthday!

    Sorry that work still isn't great :(

    Hugs - Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful,romantic LO,love the cross stitched X's. Thanks for joining us at Scrapbookers Anonymous.xxx

    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow is that a year already for Brenna, can see what you mean, that just flew, hope she had a wonderful first birthday and if I remember these are the birthdays where the adults celebrate....I just love your stunning valentines pressie to your husband and his reaction wow, that he took time to even read it is awesome. I am so happy for you too, he sounds even as nice as you....and had to laugh about missing the blog deadlines, I am doing it so much lately. Must be the extreme weather conditions hey? Love ya. Melxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful layout..love the colors and your photo. Thanks for joining us at Scrapbookers Anonymous.. =)

    ReplyDelete